Our Polished Puppy Kindergarten
Training is a necessary foundation to ensure you, your family, and your pup get the most out of your relationship. Behavioral issues can be frustrating. Our program can help get your puppy headed in the right direction. We have designed age appropriate curriculum for puppy as he/she matures. All of our training and commands will be practical for daily life. Our training program curriculum was designed by Sheila at Connemara. Sheila is a professional, state certified dog trainer and has trained/worked Police K-9's in her past career. She has continued her education by attending many seminars and workshops. More currently, she was enrolled in The Academy for Dog Trainers and studied under Jean Donaldson. As well, Sheila has added three very competent trainers to her team.
There are several benefits to a board and train program like ours. With a reputable trainer and facility, the pup gets a lot of important training, exercise and mental stimulation, creating the perfect environment to produce a well-trained dog. Proper training provides clear and consistent rules for the pup which the dog owner can put in place once the dog is back home.
All training methods used will be reward based, force-free methods.
All training curriculum is science based on how dogs learn; either by consequences
(Operant Conditioning) or by association (Classical Conditioning).
Examples of the two types:
Operant conditioning is when puppy learns by the
consequences of his specific actions as in “If I sit, I get treats!”
Classical Conditioning is an association as in “If I am getting my nails clipped - This
means treats are on the way = I like my nails clipped!”
POLISHED PUPPY KINDERGARTEN (4 week training program)
FOUR weeks of several daily, formal sessions + ongoing daily interaction and reinforcement.
POLISHED PUPPY KINDERGARTEN includes the following:￼
- Pup will be introduced to crate and crate-trained;
- Your puppy will practice house-training manners to a pee-pad and/or outdoors;
- Anti-aggression preventative/training: body handling, nail clipping, food and object guarding;
- To curb mouthing/biting, puppies will practice bite inhibition - respecting human hands and skin (nipping or mouthing);
- Proper chewing habits will be established;
- Puppy will begin with the very basic exercises learning TOUCH and SETTLE. This teaches how ‘the game is played’ so we can move forward.
- We then begin to teach SIT, LEAVE-IT, DOWN and COME (verbal and hand signals will be used);
- Pup will be introduced to a collar, halter and leash so he/she will be comfortable with these items;
- Loose-leash walking will be practiced;
- Puppies RECALL will be worked on;
- KENNEL (puppy goes into crate on his/her own);
- Socialization with outside world - as in environmental sights/sounds and meeting unfamiliar people and other dogs;
- Puppy will be introduced to more car travel and changing environments;
- ‘Home Alone’ training will be practiced too - to help your pup not have Separation Anxiety issues later on.
- Name Recognition - You will need to provide us with what you are naming your puppy (we need the name once training begins);
- First set of core vaccines will be given at ten (10) weeks of age.
Puppies in our Polished Puppy Kindergarten: Puppy Videos
Training will be billed at $68 per day ($1904 for a full, four week session) and due when training begins. Once puppy goes home, you will need to continue working with your puppy - because puppies are like children in that they never stop learning. Training fees are non-refundable.